The Chapel Inn is the oldest licenced pub in the town. It was originally built on the old Roman Military Road that went from Colchester to St Albans via Bishops Stortford. It is now a very trendy gastropub with a wide variety of fresh food, cask ales and a very impressive selection of gins, whilst keeping up to date with the modern times the chapel still has its old charm from 1256
Why not come down and try our selection of cask ales .. and if ale isn't your thing then check out our wide selection of gins that grow and change weekly!
All of our fresh produce is sourced locally, and is cooked to order by our Head Chef, Brett Franklin-Maddock, who works hard week in week and week out to produce top quality food including a range of fish sourced fresh from billingsgate and our 28 days aged locally sourced steaks.
Along side all of our incredibly attractive vintage dinning and seating areas we also offer a takeaway service, most notably our stone baked 12 inch pizzas which are all homemade to order, please call us on 01376 561 655 to place your orders!
Get to Know Us
If a Coggeshallian implies he has been to Chapel, it may not be the ecclesiastic variety. The Chapel Inn was so named as it was built on the site of an early Chapel around 1256 and remained until 1787 when it was demolished. The Chapel Inn became a legally licensed premises in 1554. Market Hill was named after the market that was established in 1256. King Henry III gave Coggeshall its market charter.
The predecessor of the Chapel Inn is first mentioned in 1376 as the home of the High Sheriff of Essex, John Sewell, who was a victim of Wat Tyler's peasant revolt in 1381, when insurgents ransacked it and murdered Sewell by decapitating him and stealing what money there was on the premises. The town clock was built to celebrate Queen Victoria's jubilee in 1887, and the clock house was at one point a school for the poor children of the town.